Social media Marketing is the general use of various social media websites and platforms to advertise a product or service. While the traditional terms such as digital advertising and e-marketing are still highly influential in academic circles, social media marketing has become increasingly popular for researchers and practitioners alike. This has resulted to many new developments that have been integrated into the basic principles of SMM. This article will focus on a few of these changes, focusing specifically on how they can help small businesses.
With the rise of Facebook and Twitter, as well as the other major social platforms, the prominence of user-generated content has increased dramatically. To counteract this increasing presence of user-generated content, SMM strategies must become more interactive. In addition to the platforms themselves, SMM should be planned to make the user-generated content easy to consume and share. In order to do so, the various platforms must offer a variety of formats and ways to consume this content.
With this said, it may be wise to compare traditional SMM methods to social strategy, to see if they are able to provide a better solution. By doing this, it will be easier to determine which strategy will be best for a particular business. While these comparison can be rather difficult, by observing common elements, it is possible to develop a good social media marketing strategy that is tailored to each specific business’s needs and goals. A few examples of common social strategy components include:
* Social Networking – Creates a social network that allows for interaction between the organization and its target audience is imperative for effective SMM. By allowing users to create profiles, businesses can establish an open dialogue with their target audience. These networks allow users to share information about products and services, create links to related content, as well as join discussion groups. Through these social media networks, businesses can attract a number of new customers that they would not have been able to reach via conventional advertising methods. Integrating the social media into the overall marketing mix will help maximize the potential ROI.
* Digital Marketing – The digital side of social media marketing includes creating digital ads through Facebook and Twitter, or by using social media directories such as StumbleUpon and Digg. The goal of these ads is to engage users in a conversation about the product, while also increasing brand awareness. These ads may also be placed on other websites that are related to the product, such as a travel site. Digital marketing allows users to interact with and connect with businesses. By providing useful content and connecting with users, companies are able to draw in new customers.
* Hashtag Strategy – One of the most essential aspects of a successful social media marketing strategy involves the hash tag. This is a way for users to interact with one another and get involved with the conversation going on about a particular brand. Brands should take advantage of this by making sure their hash tags include the key phrases or words which can be used to promote their brand. This strategy is commonly referred to as the “hashtag strategy”.
* Tech Crunch Strategy – For a company looking into implementing this type of social media marketing strategy, it is important to find an expert who has experience in optimizing the twitter feed. This can be done by hiring a person who has knowledge within the twitter code or using a service that helps optimize the feeds for the business. There are other things to consider as well, such as including important information about the brand in the tweets. For example, if there is a food-related tweet from the brand, the user should include the keywords or a description of the food, as well as when it was created and by whom.
* Google+ Metrics – For those looking into implementing a techcrunch strategy on their social media marketing efforts, they need to consider how the social media metrics can work for them. Some business experts have created applications that are able to integrate Google Analytics with Facebook, Twitter and Foursquare. These tools allow users to receive detailed reports about the activities posted on their accounts, such as engagement level and the amount of fans or friends a brand has. These are just a few of the analytics that can be considered for the business, which should help optimize their efforts.